Supervisor Database Search
Search for supervisors below. You can filter your search using the options and select
multiple fields by holding CTRL (Cmd on Mac) + clicking multiple options in a list.
Full NameProfessor Shirley Potter
School of Medicine
University College Dublin
- genetics, genomics and molecular biology
- cell and developmental biology/regenerative medicine
- one health
- comparative medicine
- clinical trials
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
The work undertaken by this translational research group focuses on improving diagnosis and treatment for cancer patients. The main subject areas are malignant melanoma and advanced cutaneous oncology, including head and neck cancer. Research is laboratory based, using clinical patient samples. The main research theme is cell signalling within the primary tumour microenvironment and to distal metastatic sites, with a particular focus on extracellular vesicles and chemokines. The aim of the research is to identify much needed biomarkers of disease progression, prognostic indicators and potential therapeutic targets. The group collaborates across the Conway Institute of Biomolecular and Biomedical Science and the Charles Institute of Dermatological Research.The group also works in collaboration with the School of Veterinary Medicine, using a comparative oncology approach to study similarities and differences between human and naturally occurring canine melanoma.
1. Investigating the role of extracellular vesicles in the melanoma tumour microenvironment and their role as liquid biopsies.
2. A comparative oncology approach to Malignant Melanoma.
3. Investigating the role of extracellular vesicles in advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma.