Supervisor Database Search
Search for supervisors below. You can filter your search using the options and select
multiple fields by holding CTRL (Cmd on Mac) + clicking multiple options in a list.
Full NameKaren D McCloskey
Department:School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences
Organisation:Queen's University Belfast
- physiology and non-communicable disease
Postgrad Medical Specialties
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Other Medical Specialties:
Our research focuses on the lower urinary tract in health and disease. We are interested in understanding how the urinary bladder becomes dysfunctional during ageing, after injury, in diabetes and after radiation therapy. Remodelling of the cells that make up the bladder wall and changes in their physiology that occur during disease are a focus of our research. Application of techniques including cell/molecular biology, live-cell imaging, ion channel electrophysiology and confocal/multiphoton imaging on relevant bladder models enable us to elucidate the underlying mechanisms of dysfunction.
Our second research focus is on uro-oncology, particularly bladder and prostate cancer. We are studying the role of druggable ion channels in cellular models of disease progression and treatment. The combination of cell physiology and cancer cell biology is generating novel hypotheses and new thinking in this area.
Potential clinician PhD projects include:
1. The role of metabolic-inflammation in bladder dysfunction in type 2 diabetes.
2. The impact of pelvic irradiation therapy on bladder dysfunction; elucidation of pathophysiological mechanisms.
3. The role of purinergic receptors in bladder cancer progression
4. Elucidation of calcium signalling mechanisms and progression of prostate cancer