Supervisor Database Search
Search for supervisors below. You can filter your search using the options and select
multiple fields by holding CTRL (Cmd on Mac) + clicking multiple options in a list.
Full NameDr Frank Doyle
Organisation:Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- neuroscience and mental health
- epidemiology/population health research
Other Research Fields:
Complex interventions; meta-analysis; psychometrics
Postgrad Medical Specialties
- Emergency Medicine
- General Practice
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Occupational Medicine
- Public Health
- Sports and Exercise Medicine
- Clinical Trials
- Community Medicine
- Geriatric Medicine
- Hospice and palliative medicine
- Respiratory Medicine
I have abroad range of interests and skills, as follows:
We have developed a new analysis technique for adherence to medication that can calculate optimal drug dosages for individuals and groups (submitted for patent):
- Greene G, Costello R, Cushen B, Sulaiman I, MacHale E, Conroy R, et al. A novel statistical method for assessing effective adherence to medication and calculating optimal drug dosages. PLoS ONE. 2018;13(4):e0195663.
Complex interventions to promote adherence using medical devices, in collaboration with Professor Richard Costello (Beaumont Hospital):
- Sulaiman I, Greene G, MacHale E, Seheult J, Mokoka M, D'Arcy S, et al. A randomised clinical trial of feedback on inhaler adherence and technique in patients with severe uncontrolled asthma. European Respiratory Journal. 2018;51(1):1701126.
- Moran CN, Doyle F, Sulaiman I, Bennett K, Greene G, Molloy GJ, et al. The INCA (Inhaler Compliance Assessment): A Comparison With Established Measures of Adherence. Psychology & Health. 2017;32(10):1266-87.
Provision of in-hospital smoking cessation care, including epidemiology, mental health and student-led care:
- Kumar A, Ward KD, Mellon L, Gunning M, Stynes S, Hickey A, et al. Medical Student INtervention to Promote Effective Nicotine Dependence and Tobacco HEalthcare: GrAduate Entry Programme (MIND-THE-GAP): Feasibility Randomised Trial. BMC Medical Education. 2017;17:249.
- Mellon L, McElvaney NG, Cormican L, Hickey A, Conroy R, Ekpotu L, et al. Determining rates of smoking cessation advice delivered during hospitalisation and smoking cessation rates 3-months post discharge: a two-hospital survey Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine: An Open Access Journal. 2016;4(1):124-37.
- Burns A, Strawbridge J, Clancy L, Bennett K, Doyle F. Exploring Smoking, Mental Health and Smoking-Related Disease in Older Adults. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2017;98:78-86.
Psychometrics – scale development and validation:
- Freedland KE, Lemos M, Doyle F, Steinmeyer B, Csik I, Carney R. The Techniques for Overcoming Depression Scale: Mokken Scale Analysis and Concurrent Validity in Depressed Cardiac Patients. Cognitive Therapy & Research. 2017;41(1):117-29.
- Oldridge N, Hofer S, McGee H, Conroy R, Doyle F, Saner H. The HeartQoL: Part I. Development of a new core health-related quality of life questionnaire for patients with ischemic heart disease. European Journal of Preventive Cardiology. 2014;21(1):90-7.
- Oldridge N, Hofer S, McGee H, Conroy R, Doyle F, Saner H. The HeartQoL: Part II. Validation of a new core health-related quality of life questionnaire for patients with ischemic heart disease. European Journal of Preventive Cardiology. 2014;21(1):98-106.
Older adults – including meta-analytic techniques and qualitative research
- Donnelly NA, Hickey A, Burns A, Murphy P, Doyle F. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the impact of carer stress on subsequent institutionalisation of community dwelling older people. PLoS One. 2015;10(6):e0128213.
- Donnelly NA, Humphries N, Hickey A, Doyle F. "We don't have the infrastructure to support them at home": How health system inadequacies impact on long-term care admissions of people with dementia. Health Policy. 2017;121(12):1280-7.
- Keegan C, Conroy R, Doyle F. Testing a longitudinal model of depressive vulnerabilities, depression trajectories and poor outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndrome Journal of Affective Disorders. 2016;191:41-8.
- Ho S-Y, Alnashri N, Rohde DM, Murphy P, Doyle F. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the impact of depression on subsequent smoking status in patients with chronic respiratory conditions. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2015;37(5):399-407.
- Doyle F, McGee H, Conroy RM, Conradi HJ, Meijer A, Steeds RP, et al. Systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis of sex differences in depression and prognosis in persons with myocardial infarction: a MINDMAPS study. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2015;77(4):419-28.
Organ donation – attitudes and randomised trial
- Doherty S, Dolan E, Flynn J, O'Carroll RE, Doyle F. Circumventing the 'ick’ factor: a randomised trial of the effects of omitting affective attitudes questions to increase intention to become an organ donor. Frontiers in Psychology. 2017;8:1443.
I am happy to consider student proposals also, especially in any of the areas above, but at the moment the following is a ready-made project:
Provision of Smoking Cessation Care in Hospital Settings
Although receiving brief smoking cessation advice from healthcare professionals is known to increase smokers’ quit attempts, such advice is not usually provided. This is usually due to factors such as time constraints, staff attitudes towards smoking and provision of advice, and lack of skills training. This project will develop and implement an intervention to address these issues.