Supervisor Database Search
Search for supervisors below. You can filter your search using the options and select
multiple fields by holding CTRL (Cmd on Mac) + clicking multiple options in a list.
The ICAT Supervisor list is reviewed annually by the partner universities and updated online in March/April each year. You can read the ICAT supervisor policy here.
Full NameProfessor Mary Higgins
Obstetrics and Gynaecology
University College Dublin
- cell and developmental biology/regenerative medicine
- physiology and non-communicable disease
- artificial intelligence/machine learning/data analytics
qualitative research, reviews, collaborative multidisciplinary research
- General Practice
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Infectious diseases
- Respiratory Medicine
1. AIPREMIE - a collaborative multidisciplinary project on prediction and prognosis of pre-eclampsia. Funded by SFI, our group was the winner of a special prize in the SFI AI for Societal Good Challenge, team AI_PREMie have discovered the information carried by platelets combined with powerful AI can help doctors diagnose pre-eclampsia. The Challenge: Preeclampsia is extremely difficult to diagnose and kills 50,000 mothers and 500,000 babies every year. We propose to develop a new test that will help us save the lives of mothers and babies. The Solution: Combining the power of machine learning, and cutting-edge omics methodologies, we will develop a new platform for the diagnosis and treatment of preeclampsia. This will be an affordable tool to closely observe pregnancies complicated by preeclampsia and prevent unnecessary adverse outcomes for both mother and baby. https://www.sfi.ie/challenges/ai-societal-good/ai_premie/
2. Diabetes and Pregnancy - what is the impact of a diagnosis of diabetes in a previously normal risk pregnancy? https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(17)30189-4
3. Impact on health care professionals of expansion of termination of pregnancy care: https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/one-in-seven-providers-of-abortion-care-experienced-verbal-threat-or-attack-1.4815278
4. Medical Education: what are the patients experience of bedside teaching?
1. Experience of families and healthcare professionals on cystic fibrosis related diabetes and pregnancy: a scoping review, qualitative research and development of a quality improvement initiative
2. Transitions in healthcare: transition from non consultant doctor to full time researcher