Supervisor Database Search
Search for supervisors below. You can filter your search using the options and select
multiple fields by holding CTRL (Cmd on Mac) + clicking multiple options in a list.
Full NameKen Mills
Organisation:Queen's University Belfast
- genetics, genomics and molecular biology
Postgrad Medical Specialties
The research is focused on three different areas: epigenetics; DNA damage; and repurposing agents. These involve the integration of laboratory studies, translational aspects from clinical trials and bioinformatics. Although mainly focused on blood cancers, these aspects have been utilised for breast cancer and aging studies.
Selected recent references:
1. K Haslam, MA Catherwood, E Dobbin, A Sproul, SE Langabeer, KI Mills (2016) Inter-laboratory evaluation of a next-generation sequencing panel for acute myeloid leukemia. Molecular Diagnosis and Therapy, 20(5):457-61. doi: 10.1007/s40291-016-0222-3.
2. GDR Roulston, CL Burt, LMJ Kettyle, KB Matchett, HL Keenan, NM Mulgrew, JM Ramsey, C Dougan1, J McKiernan, IV Grishagin, KI Mills and A Thompson (2016) Low-Dose Salinomycin Induces Anti-Leukemic Responses in AML and MLL. Oncotarget. 2016 Nov 8;7(45):73448-73461. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.11866.
3. MA Catherwood, P McGrattan, S Lawless, C McConville, N Robson, B Lundy, M Humphreys, S Soverini, KI Mills, MF McMullin (2016) Coexistence of inversion 16 in chronic myeloid leukaemia in blast crisis. J Hematopathol 9: 155. doi:10.1007/s12308-016-0286-3
4. K-K Chan, K Matchett, J Coulter, H-F Yuen, C McCrudden, S-D Zhang, G Irwin, M Davidson, T Rulicke, S Schober, L Hengst, H Jaekel, A Platt-Higgins, P Rudland, K Mills, P Maxwell, M El-Tanani, and T Lappin (2017) Erythropoietin drives breast cancer progression by activation of its receptor EPOR. Oncotarget. 2017 Jun 13;8(24):38251-38263. doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.16368
5. JK Blayney, KI Mills (2017) Compositional analysis gives insight into cell lines expression profiles compared to those within patient sub-groups. Br J Haematol. 2017 Jun 27. doi: 10.1111/bjh.14711. [Epub ahead of print]
6. Crean CM, Mills KI, Savage KI (2017) The potential of targeting DNA Repair deficiency in acute myeloid leukemia . J. Cancer Therapy: on line 1st August 2017
7. CS Young, KM Clarke, LMJ Kettyle, A Thompson and KI Mills (2017) Decitabine-Vorinostat combination treatment in acute myeloid leukemia activates pathways with potential for novel triple therapy Oncotarget On line DOI: 10.18632/oncotarget.18009
8. J Hay, K Lappin, F. Liberante1, A. Thompson, KI Mills (2017) Integrated analysis of the molecular action of Vorinostat identifies epi-sensitised targets for combination therapy. Oncotarget: early online 1st July 2017
9. S McPherson, MF McMullin, K I Mills (2017) Epigenetics in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms. J Cell Mol Med. 2017 Jul 4. doi: 10.1111/jcmm.13095. [Epub ahead of print]
10. Breen ME, Sharpe DJ, Colyer HAA, Hodges VM, Zaliova M, Trka J, Lappin TR, Mills KI (2017) GATA2 regulates the erythropoietin receptor in t(12;21) ALL. Oncotarget: In press
11. J Busby, F Liberante, K Mills, S-D Zhang, L Murray, C Cardwell (2017) Calcium channel blocker use and breast cancer survival: a population-based cohort study. Epidemiology: In press
Potential PhD projects include the following areas:
- Epigenetic analysis of solid tumours or blood cancer
- The identification and validation of repurposed agents for cancer
- DNA Damage repair as a mechanism of cancer development or as a therapeutic target
All potential projects will have a translational context